Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Peat and Poop Pots

It's raining today. A nice steady soaker. I transplanted the tomatoes and Thai Dragon peppers from their starter pots to "peat" pots this morning. The roots were already wrapping around the insides of the pots.

Peat is being phased out because peat bogs grow slowly and we don't want to destroy all of the remaining peat bogs. Last year I looked for peat pots, but couldn't find them, so I tried two types of "peat" pots, those made from coconut husks and those from cow manure (aka the "peat" and "poop" pots).

I preferred the manure pots. Even this spring, I found intact coconut husk pots in the soil from last year. Last fall, I noticed that the roots had not grown through the coconut pots and that the plants in the coconut pots were smaller and less healthy than those in the manure pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment