Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rookie Mistake

I didn't realize that morning glories grew so fast. Now my petunia seedlings have been left in the dust. See the picture below. You can't even see my petunias yet. They're in the pots in front of the morning glories.

I want to keep the grow light as close to the other plants as possible, but the morning glories are too tall. This leaves a couple of options:
1. Tilt the grow light.
2. Push the morning glories to the side.
3. Move the whole tray to the right so the morning glories are to the right of the light.

Morning glories on the right. The tall plants on the left and in the middle are onions.

I performed selective reduction today for all of the plants that had moved beyond seed leaves. It is hard to kill the little guys. This is part of the reason I've been cautious to not plant too many pots of each type of plant. Last year, I bought a six-pack of tomatoes and didn't have the heart to get rid of the extras. I ended up with tomatoes coming out of my ears, instead. Onion sprouts, by the way, are tasty.

Meanwhile, outside, it continues to be winter though the calendar reports that we've passed the spring equinox. The weather is in the 20-40s. And it is mostly brown outside with a few spikes of green.


My garden, March 26.



Chives and crocuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment