Monday, November 29, 2010

Fall Clings On

The berries on these trees by my house turned from red to orange after the frost.

Today it is raining, a steady soaking rain. Patches of snow hang on, remaining only where the snow was piled in heaps. Tonight the rain will turn to freezing rain, then snow, and winter will have its way again.



Some, but not all of the radishes in the greenhouse froze. I picked the frozen ones. They are surprisingly sweet.

The artichokes, I fear, are dead. But I don't know. The one outside is buried under a small pile of hay. The one inside is in the greenhouse where the soil hasn't frozen yet. The leaves look a little worse for the wear, but I can't tell if it's dead or not. I think I'd better mulch them both some more. But I don't know where to get mulch this time of year. The hardware stores have transitioned to rock salt and Christmas wreathes.

No comments:

Post a Comment