Saturday, October 10, 2009

First Frost and Snow October 9

"Welcome To My Garden"
It snowed last night and we got our first frost. I knew last night that it would get cold. But the days are shortner now and I got home right as it got dark. So I decided that what was meant to happen would happen. I slept in this morning and woke up to a blanket of snow. I took these pictures at about 9:30am after a lot of the snow had started to melt.
It's supposed to get down to 26 degrees tonight so I thought it was time to get out into my garden and do a little work.
I did some harvesting: tomatoes, swiss chard, leeks, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, cabbages, and one carrot that was living under a tomato plant. I removed the tomato cages and cucumber/morning glory trellis. This meant pulling up the tomatoes and cucumber plants.
I'm pretty sure the peppers are done for. But I'm not sure about the leeks, onions, swiss chard, cabbages and kale. I know these plants are more cold-tolerant, but I'm not sure how cold they can get without dying. I'm also not sure what to do to keep them alive. Cover them? Go out and buy those mini-greenhouse hoops?
These are my seedlings: carrots and radishes. I was optimistic putting them in as late as I did and we didn't get the late season warm spell I was hoping for. They're so tiny, but they don't seem bothered by the cold...so far.
Thai peppers are pretty with snow on them.
Tomatoes.
Zinnias.

No comments:

Post a Comment