Monday, January 25, 2010

Lights, Camera, Artichokes

I took down my Christmas tree today and put up the grow lights (many thanks to Dan).


My overly optimistic garden adventure this year is artichokes. Artichokes require a long growing season, which Minnesota does not offer. However, it is reported to like cool nights, which Minnesota does have.

So I've decided to try starting it under grow lights in January. I've read that artichokes typically don't produce their first year, but that they can be forced by providing them with a cool period in late spring (to fool them into thinking they're in their second year).

I purchased Imperial Artichokes from Park Seed Co. The packet states: sow seeds indoors 5-7 weeks before last frost. 10-20 days to germination. So here goes...
"Peat" pots with now-planted artichoke seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment